Rhode Island's Premier
Shallow-Water Fly & Light Tackle Guide Service
Capt. Jim Barr
- I am Captain Jim Barr and I live in Newport, Rhode Island. Skinny Water Charters is based here. I am a full time salt and freshwater guide having retired from the risk management business.
- I am a U.S. Coast Guard OUPV Captain, trained in First Aid and CPR, fully insured and licensed.
- I trailer my boats in order to minimize running time to the seasonally changing productive waters. The primary launch sites are Ft. Adams/ Newport; Pt. Judith/Narragansett; Ninigret Pond/Charlestown; Barn Island/ Stonington, CT; and the Westport River, MA.
- I am the only guide service based in Newport and southern Rhode Island that specializes in fishing the “shallower and shallowest” waters of Coastal Rhode Island, Fishers Island, NY, Southeastern Massachusetts and Southeastern Connecticut. For all my charters in the Newport area waters I launch my vessel at the Ft. Adams Boat Ramp in Newport. For charters in the RI Salt Ponds I launch at either the Pt. Judith ramp in Galilee, RI or from Lavin's Landing Marina in Charlestown, RI. For charters in Little Narragansett Bay and the Watch Hill Reefs and Fishers Island, NY, I launch from the Barn Island boat ramp located in the Barn Island Conservation area in Stonington, CT. Directions to any of these ramps are available by using Google Maps.
- My focus is fishing near shore reefs, bays, salt ponds, estuaries, salt rivers, rocky coast lines, sandbars, shallow water flats, and wave worn islands.
- I provide my clients with top of the line Sage, Redington and Orvis fly rods and reels and RIO Products fly lines, leaders and tippet material. I also provide use of high quality light tackle spinning equipment- Off Shore Angler rods paired with precision reels by Penn (Spinfisher V), Shimano (Saragosa) and Quantum (Cabo PTs and Smoke PTs Inshore). I personally tie all the fly patterns we use and the plastic and hard baits are top of the line products from Hogy Lure Company. I don't fish with bait.
- I target Striped Bass, Bluefish, False Albacore and Bonito. Occasionally School Blue Fin Tuna are included in our targeted species when they make appearances in our near shore waters.
- My primary vessel is the Mako 2201 Inshore Bay Boat (150 hp Yamaha 4-Stroke). My secondary vessel is a Lund 16 SSV (25 hp Yamaha 4-Stroke) for fishing extremely shallow salt and fresh waters and difficult to access salt ponds. The Mako is the perfect platform for the waters I specialize in fishing. It draws very little water, is spacious, stable, extremely maneuverable, quiet and very quick.For stealthy approaches it is equipped with a remote controlled bow mounted Minn Kota 101 trolling motor, and the remote controlled Minn Kota Talon shallow water anchor system, that together create a fishing platform that allows for extreme stealth and fishing shallow waters and tight to structure.
- Guiding anglers in fresh cold and warm water for Trout, Largemouth Bass and Northern Pike and in saltwater for Stripers, Bluefish, False Albacore and Bonito.
- Certified Fly Casting Instructor- International Federation of Fly Fishers.
- Fly fishing lessons offered in fresh and salt water- wading and boat access.
- Fresh and Saltwater fly tying lessons- group and private.
- Presentations to fishing clubs and retail.
Skinny Water Charters specializes in technical fly fishing, and is strictly Catch & Release for all striped bass. Doing our part to protect this endangered fishery
Need expert fishing reel service and cleaning?
Click on the Tips and Links page.
Riviera Paradise- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sand Eel Emergence in Newport Waters
June brings extraordinary Skinny Water angling for Stripers and Bluefish eating Sand Eels. Running time from the boat ramp in Newport Harbor to great topwater striper fishing ranges from 5 to 15 minutes. In fact Newport Harbor has some wonderful evening emergences of sand eels in 3- 6 feet of water!
Presentation at the New England Saltwater Fishing Show- 2014
Colin McKeown (Producer of The New Fly Fisher) and Tom Rosenbauer (Orvis) casting to hungry stripers feeding on Sand Eels on the Watch Hill Reef
Rob Greenhalgh- Watch Captain- MAPFRE
Volvo Ocean Race- Round the World
May 11, 2015