- I am Captain Jim Barr and I live in Newport, Rhode Island. Skinny Water Charters is based here. I am a full time salt and freshwater guide having retired from the insurance business
- I am a U.S. Coast Guard OUPV Captain, trained in First Aid and CPR, fully insured and licensed.
- I trailer my boats in order to minimize running time to the seasonally changing productive waters. The primary launch sites are Ft. Adams/ Newport; Pt. Judith/Narragansett; Ninigret Pond/Charlestown; Barn Island/ Stonington, CT; and the Westport River, MA
- I am the only guide service based in Newport and southern Rhode Island that specializes in fishing the “shallower and shallowest” waters of Coastal Rhode Island, Fishers Island, NY, Southeastern Massachusetts and Southeastern Connecticut.
- My focus is fishing near shore reefs, bays, salt ponds, estuaries, salt rivers, rocky coast lines, sandbars, shallow water flats, and wave worn islands.
- I provide my clients with top of the line Sage and Redington fly rods and reels and RIO Products fly lines, leaders and tippet material. I also provide use of high quality light tackle spinning equipment- Off Shore Angler rods paired with Penn Spinfisher V's and Shimano Saragosa's. I personally tie all the fly patterns we use and the plastic and hard baits we use are top of the line products from name brand companies. I don't fish with bait
- I target Striped Bass, Bluefish, False Albacore and Bonito. Occasionally School Blue Fin Tuna are included in our targeted species when they make appearances in our near shore waters
- My primary vessel is the Mako 2201 Inshore Bay Boat. My secondary vessel is a Lund 16 for fishing extremely shallow salt and fresh waters. The Mako is the perfect platform for the waters I specialize in fishing. It draws very little water, is spacious, stable, extremely maneuverable and very quick. It is equipped with the remote controlled bow mounted Minn Kota 101 trolling motor and the remote controlled Minn Kota Talon shallow water anchor, creating a fishing system that allows for extreme stealth.
Jerry Siem talks about the Sage One rod (Click the Sage logo)
Capt. Jim Barr
*Guiding anglers in fresh cold and warm water for Trout, Largemouth Bass and Northern Pike and in salt water for Stripers, Bluefish, False Albacore and Bonito
*Certified Fly Casting Instructor- International Federation of Fly Fishers
*Fly fishing lessons in fresh and salt water- wading and boat access
*Fresh and Saltwater fly tying lessons- group and private
*Presentations to fishing clubs and retail
Rhode Island's Premier
Shallow Water Fly & Light Tackle Guide Service
Guide at Cutthroat Anglers- Silverthorne, CO
Narrow River- 11.10.13
Every year about this time I make a note to my past clients and others who may be interested in fishing in Rhode Island next spring suggesting if
they are interested in booking with me it’s probably a good idea to review the calendar and set up some dates. As in past years I started
receiving calls early this month and just this week I’ve booked ten charters for May and June. The airing of the Orvis and The New Fly Fisher television shows covering the Rhode Island Worm Hatch continues to create interest in this unique shallow water fishing experience. So this note is nothing more than a heads-up to let you know that my calendar is starting to get busy.
Think about it and drop me a line with any thoughts you might have at this early stage. As of now I am booked for May 16-19, 21-24, 27 and 29, and June 19 and 28.
I hope we have the opportunity to fish together this spring.
Narragansett, RI 11.16.13
Narrow River Schoolie