Rhode Island's Premier
Shallow Water Fly & Light Tackle Guide Service
Capt. Jim Barr
- I am Captain Jim Barr and I live in Newport, Rhode Island. Skinny Water Charters is based here. I am a full time salt and freshwater guide having retired from the risk management business
- I am a U.S. Coast Guard OUPV Captain, trained in First Aid and CPR, fully insured and licensed.
- I trailer my boats in order to minimize running time to the seasonally changing productive waters. The primary launch sites are Ft. Adams/ Newport; Pt. Judith/Narragansett; Ninigret Pond/Charlestown; Barn Island/ Stonington, CT; and the Westport River, MA
- I am the only guide service based in Newport and southern Rhode Island that specializes in fishing the “shallower and shallowest” waters of Coastal Rhode Island, Fishers Island, NY, Southeastern Massachusetts and Southeastern Connecticut.
- My focus is fishing near shore reefs, bays, salt ponds, estuaries, salt rivers, rocky coast lines, sandbars, shallow water flats, and wave worn islands.
- I provide my clients with top of the line Sage and Redington fly rods and reels and RIO Products fly lines, leaders and tippet material. I also provide use of high quality light tackle spinning equipment- Off Shore Angler rods paired with Penn Spinfisher V's and Shimano Saragosa's. I personally tie all the fly patterns we use and the plastic and hard baits we use are top of the line products from name brand companies. I don't fish with bait
- I target Striped Bass, Bluefish, False Albacore and Bonito. Occasionally School Blue Fin Tuna are included in our targeted species when they make appearances in our near shore waters
- My primary vessel is the Mako 2201 Inshore Bay Boat. My secondary vessel is a Lund 16 for fishing extremely shallow salt and fresh waters. The Mako is the perfect platform for the waters I specialize in fishing. It draws very little water, is spacious, stable, extremely maneuverable and very quick. It is equipped with the remote controlled bow mounted Minn Kota 101 trolling motor and the remote controlled Minn Kota Talon shallow water anchor, creating a fishing system that allows for extreme stealth.
- Guiding anglers in fresh cold and warm water for Trout, Largemouth Bass and Northern Pike and in saltwater for Stripers, Bluefish, False Albacore and Bonito
- Certified Fly Casting Instructor- International Federation of Fly Fishers
- Fly fishing lessons in fresh and salt water- wading and boat access
- Fresh and Saltwater fly tying lessons- group and private
- Presentations to fishing clubs and retail
Skinny Water Charters Newsletter
(hit backbutton to return to website)
Recommended Gear List Link
Skinny Water Charters specializes in Fly Fishing, and is strictly Catch & Release for all striped bass~ doing our part to protect this endangered fishery.
Next on the hit parade... Chopper Bluefish, Fattened-up Stripers, False Albacore and Atlantic Bonito... late summer, September and October. Call for available days
"Bird Casting for Accuracy.... and fun!" (left click on the bird)